We love our waterfront here in Vancouver, the beaches, the parks, the seawall, the river — whether you’re on or off the water, there’s so much to do. But how much do we actually know about the shore? Do you know what the ships anchored in English Bay are carrying? Have you ever wondered what False Creek used to look like 100 years ago? When was the last time you took a close look at the animals that live on the shore?
We at GSA think it’s time to celebrate our shoreline and all it has to offer. On October 5th, we are inviting everyone to come down to the Vancouver Maritime Museum for Water’s Edge Day and spend the day with us exploring and enjoying the shoreline as part of our Waterfront Initiative.
It will be a day of great fun! Together with our partners and sponsors, we have organized a range of exciting — and completely free — activities that you can take part in. You can:
- Join a guided paddle tour in a real Tsleil-Waututh canoe
- Go on kayak tours
- Interact with ocean critters in the Vancouver Aquarium’s mobile touch tanks
- Get aboard an all electric boat for a bird tours of English Bay
- Cycle around False Creek and learn about the history of our shore and the return of the herring
- Check out the exhibition “Where Land and Water Meet” with art and historical photographs of the water’s edge
- Get creative and join an art workshop
- Learn about water science at Science World
- Explore the “green shore” restoration project at Jericho Beach
- Enjoy free access to the Vancouver Maritime Museum all day long.
You can find all details and updates here.
See the city from a different angle — how about from a helicopter or a zodiac?
The best thing is: if you love the waterfront as much as we do, you can turn that into a great chance to win: We want you to share your favourite moments, pictures, videos, places or stories from Vancouver’s shore with us in our #MyVanWaterfront contest: Did you snap a great sunset picture at the beach? Have you been out on the water? Did you spot a cool animal on the shore? What else did you, your family and friends do on the waterfront this summer? Simply post on twitter or instagram with the hashtag #MyVanWaterfront and tag your location our submit here, and you will be entered into the draw.
All submissions to the #MyVanWaterfront contest will be drawn at Water’s Edge Day. Our exciting main prize is a scenic helicopter ride for 2 from Vancouver to Victoria and back with Helijet. And you can also win a kayak paddle from Feathercraft or awesome hoodies and other merchandise from Sitka Surfboards.
And there will be more prizes on Water’s Edge Day: We’re giving away 10 tickets for 2 for a waterfront sightseeing tour of Vancouver.
In other words, you really don’t want to miss out on Water’s Edge Day!
|This could be your view! Photo: Feeling Photography|