Opportunity to join Georgia Strait Alliance’s Board of Directors
GSA is currently looking for individuals with strong leadership skills and interest, as well as a passion for the local and regional environment, to join our volunteer Board of Directors. We are seeking candidates who have the experience, energy, availability and motivation to participate actively as a member of the board and to move into leadership roles, including executive officer positions and committee chairs. We anticipate both near-term and longer-term opportunities for qualified candidates to take on leadership positions. This director position is for a two-year term, which can be renewed upon election at our AGM.
While there are many types of Boards, GSA’s is a governance Board, as opposed to an operational Board. That is, the organization’s work is done by staff, not Board Members. The role of Board Members is to ensure that the organization stays true to our mission and meets our fiscal and legal requirements.
We recognize the importance of having a Board and staff that represent the breadth and diversity of our community. We therefore encourage First Nations, Inuit and Metis candidates, members of underrepresented communities, and persons with disabilities to apply.
The successful candidate will have the following qualities and/or experience:
- A demonstrated record of successful leadership in community service and organizing, mentorship, professional service, teaching and research, other areas of lived experience where strong leadership skills are required.
- Excellent people skills and emotional intelligence.
- A positive spirit who enjoys being part of a collegial, collaborative team and sharing common goals with others.
- Previous board or senior staff experience with an environmental organization and/or a non-profit organization, including knowledge of non-profit governance.
- Strong relationships and connections with people, resources and opportunities in our region.
- Fundraising and community/stakeholder outreach experience.
- A proven track record of supporting or leading an organization in creating a more equitable, diverse and inclusive working environment are both highly desirable in a successful candidate.
In addition to governance responsibilities, directors are ambassadors of the organization, and are therefore expected to attend some of the activities and fundraising events that GSA holds to help build relationships with donors and members, with the goal of attending 2 events a year. On average, directors put in about eight to ten volunteer hours a month, including Board meetings, committee meetings and attending various events.
If you are interested in joining GSA’s Board of Directors, please email your resume and a short cover letter describing why you are a good fit for the Board by November 29, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, if you’d like to reach us to talk to us more about the opportunities, please give us a call at 250-753-3459.