Salish Sea BioBlitz!
It’s estimated that there are 37 species of mammals, 172 species of birds, 253 species of fish, and more than 3,000 species of invertebrates call the Salish Sea home. This World Ocean’s Week, we are going to celebrate all of them at the Great Salish BioBlitz! A BioBlitz is a form of citizen-science where community members try to identify as many species as they can in a short period of time. This helps give us a snapshot of an area’s diversity of wildlife, or biodiversity.
Wondering how to join in? It’s easy!
- Register for free on Eventbrite to stay connected and get all the links you need to participate
- Tune into our live webinars with local experts to discover what you might see during the BioBlitz
- Download iNaturalist for your iPhone or Android and sign up for the Salish Sea BioBlitz Project
- Go to your nearest beach or coastline on June 13 & 14, and record all the biodiversity you can see! (Remember to respect physical distancing measures and any park closures!)
- Monday, June 8 (9:00am) – Biodiversity in the Salish Sea with The Marine Detective & Squamish Waves of Change
- Wednesday, June 10 – Bird is the Word! with Caroline Biel from Birds Canada
- Friday, June 12 – Marine Mammals with the BC Cetacean Sightings Network
Who can participate in the BioBlitz?
What if I don't know anything about biology or the Salish Sea?
How do I use iNaturalist?